Tasmania’s own Sky Ranch Bakehouse – a small, 2-person business producing outstanding gluten free breads. Award winning bread – multiple times!
Robin’s obsession with baking wheat breads since 1970 is what prompted the creation of our gluten free bakery. Production began in mid-2009 with three fresh products and two premixes. Our current range now stands at fourteen fresh products and eleven premixes. As planned, growth of a dedicated and regular coeliac customer base and others who choose to use breads for their general wellbeing. Our customer base now includes cafes, restaurants, accommodation venues and festivals. You might also be pleased to hear that Robin’s passion for wheat bread baking has not diminished in the slightest! In an alternative kitchen of course.
Our breads are made with care and flair and contain no preservatives. Sold unsliced, this avoids the rapid drying out time to which all gluten free breads are prone. The most-repeated comment from our customers (and especially children) is that our breads have crunch! Sandwiches made with our bread are best on the day of baking of course. When toasted? Yum! Lip-smackingly good with a great crunchy texture. We also re-shape bread dough into hamburger buns, French sticks and small, 6 centimetre sized dinner rolls. The bunskys are our most popular product, containing no yeast, gluten, dairy, egg, soy, sugar, grains or nuts. When asked this product is also reshaped into hot dog rolls so children can enjoy their “own special” bread stuffed with a sausage straight off the barbecue. Take a quick look at our decadent Bunsky Éclair in the photo section of our Facebook page
- Our new Rustic Range was introduced to the market in February 2014 with a cobb loaf and baguette roll. These both include many of those “super-food” flours such as quinoa, millet, amaranth, teff, buckwheat and garbanzo bean. For that special, unusual flavour the sweetener is ….. maple syrup! With a wholesome, hearty taste they closely resemble those classic European rustic wheat breads.
- One pathway unforeseen by us at the start of business has become a large part of who we are and what we do. Shortly after production began customer feedback made us more aware of additional food intolerances impacting on dietary needs. To personally cater for these we found it necessary to introduce a production process which could deliver specialist breads for individual customers. Troublesome ingredients such as yeast, certain flours, eggs, dairy, seeds, baking powder, and more, are replaced with alternative, more tolerable ingredients which result in a loaf to suit individual requirements.
Following discussions with you your premixes can be tailored by:
- the removal or replacement of any seeds / grains which cause concern;
- Replacing eggs with a reputable egg-replacement product;
- the use of alternative milk products such as rice, almond, coconut, or soy;
- the substitution of flours as required;
- offering yeast free breads.
Do yourself a favour: view our product range premixes. Contact us via email to place your order. For those of you who like baking we also provide classes.